Technology has revolutionized interior decor and style, bringing wallpaper borders back with a bang. Whether to frame a staircase, bathroom wall or children’s bedroom, borders can provide a touch of art and personality. The right wallpaper border depends on the elements in the space, room dynamics, and the wallpaper qualities. This article delves into the factors to consider when choosing wallpaper borders for your space.
- The room dynamics
Consider where the wallpaper border will be set. Every room has its unique features and will determine the most appropriate decorative pieces.
● Room proportions- The size, shape, and function of a room define its aesthetics. A child’s bedroom will differ from a formal dining area and benefit from different border designs.
● Current decor- the current decor in a room ought to dictate any additional pieces. Therefore, the wallpaper border should complement the existing furniture, flooring, and accent elements.
● Lighting- lighting affects colors and a room’s overall effect. Consider the artificial and natural lighting in a space while selecting a fitting wallpaper border.
Additional considerations include the particular room’s functions, for example:
● High-humidity rooms- Areas like the kitchen and bathroom are high-moisture zones and need wallpaper borders that can withstand humidity. Opt for water-resistant or vinyl material in these rooms.
● Children’s rooms- Kids thrive in a fun, playful environment and enjoy delightful spaces. Go for wallpaper borders that bring out their imaginative and creative side.
● Bedrooms- Places of rest need comforting colors. Choose soft colors and prints that bring the sense of winding down after a long day.
- Wallpaper border material
Varying wallpaper border materials provide diverse textures and looks.
● Vinyl- Vinyl borders are easy to clean and durable, making them a great option in busy rooms like the bathroom and kitchen.
● Paper- Paper provides an affordable array of wallpaper borders. However, the material is not as enduring as vinyl and will deteriorate easily in high humidity rooms.
● Textured wallpaper borders- Textured material gives the feeling of tangibleness to borders, making them a unique focal point.
- Wallpaper border styles
Wallpaper border designs are numerous and offer a wide range of options. Thanks to technology and customization, the choices are endless.
● Traditional styles- Classical border layouts incorporate florals and damasks that add timeless elegance to any space.
● Contemporary designs- Modern wallpaper borders lean towards minimalist and abstract styles that incorporate geometric tones.
● Customized borders- Wallpaper borders can feature personalized or motivational quotes, photos, and pretty much any desirable design.
● Themed wallpaper borders- A nautical theme sounds lovely in a cozy library filled with ancient books, and complete with a matching border. Numerous themed wallpaper border options go well with the out-of-the-ordinary ideas.
- The wallpaper border proportions
The size of the wallpaper border ought to coincide with the room’s dynamics. Tall ceilings with extended walls will better fit a wide border with larger patterns. On the flipside, shorter walls will do well with narrower wallpaper borders that do not take too much space.
- Pattern alignment
Pattern repeat is the length between one point on a pattern to the same mark on the next similar pattern. Proper alignment is a mark of professional installation.
- The impact of color
Color is one of the most defining aspects of a room. Use these color considerations when selecting a wallpaper border:
● The existing features- consider the dominant colors like the wall paint, furniture, and curtains when selecting a matching border.
● Creating focal points- For a contrasting finish, opt for color palettes that diverge from the wall color.
● The desired tone- Different colors express varying moods. Cool hues like green and blue speak calmness while warm tones like yellow provide a comforting emotion.
- Professional vs DIY Installation
Wallpaper borders are easy to install with the right equipment. Doing it yourself can save money but will require expert eyes for a flawless finish. When in doubt, always go for a professional.
- The cost
The final interior decor choice depends on the available budget. Wallpaper borders are available at multiple price points, and there is something for everyone.
Some materials may be more expensive than others, with customization coming at an extra penny. More affordable materials include pre-pasted or paintable borders.
- The future
Consider the desired longevity of a wallpaper border before purchasing and installing it. If you envision decor change in the future, choose removable wallpaper borders whose removal will not be costly, damaging, or time-consuming.
A beautiful wallpaper border can transform a space and add a unique and personalized touch. Choosing the right border is a delicate evaluation of multiple factors, including material and styles, the room dynamics, color and proportions, and cost.